This week the guys go back to the Rod Wood-shed and discuss the Lions’ general manager and coaching searches. They explore what the Lions are looking for in the tandem, and how things have changed since the last time the organization went through this process.
Revisiting the Wood-shed
The Lions won’t rush to make a hire this time around. Wood is focusing on a person’s character rather than their record and is trying to learn from past mistakes. He is leaning on more people during this hiring process, which is why people like Chris Spielman and Mike Disner more involved. Additionally, Wood is open to hiring a coach before GM because he cares more about people who can have a working relationship.
The Lions have interviewed 10 candidates for their GM position
- Kyle O’Brien, Lions’ vice resident of player personnel
- Lance Newmark, Lions’ director of player personnel
- Rob Lohman, Lions’ director of pro scouting
- Louis Riddick, former Eagles’ director of pro personnel
- Rick Smith, former Texans’ GM
- Thomas Dimitroff, former Falcons’ GM
- Scott Pioli, former Chiefs’ GM
- Terry Fontenot, Saints’ VP/assistant GM of pro personnel
- Brad Holmes, Rams’ Director of College Scouting
- George Paton, Vikings’ Assistant GM
While they have not yet interviewed, Jeff Ireland (Saints’ Assistant GM, Formerly Dolphins GM), he is rumored to be meeting with the team on Friday. John Schneider (current Seahawks GM) is rumored to be someone they will pursue, but nothing has been formally acknowledged by the organization.
Other names to keep in mind for the Lions’ GM position include: Ed Dodds, Colts’ Assistant GM (source), Scott Fitterer, Seahawks’ Co-Director of Player Personel (source), Omar Kahn, Steelers’ VP of football administration (source), Will McClay, Cowboys VP of player personnel (source), and Eliot Wolf, Patriots front office consultant, who is better known for his time with the Packers front office (source)
The following teams have available openings at their GM position: Broncos, Falcons, Jaguars, Panthers, and Washington. While the Texans have hired Nick Caserio of the Patriots.
Lions have completed 4 interviews for their Head Coaching position
- Marvin Lewis, Former Bengals HC, currently an assistant at Arizona State (background)
- Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs’ OC (background)
- Darrell Bevell, Lions’ OC
- Robert Saleh, 49ers’ DC (background)
There are two rumored coaches set to be interviewing next week: Arthur Smith, Titans’ OC (background, source), and Dan Campbell, Saints’ TE coach, Asst. HC (source). Keep an eye on Pat Fitzgerlad, Northwestern HC (source), and Matt Campbell, Iowa State from the college level.
Teams with available head coaching openings include the Chargers, Falcons, Jaguars, Jets, and Texans.
The Lions have begun letting their position coaches start interviewing for other jobs and so far, DL coach Bo Davis is expected to join the University of Texas staff, OL coach Hank Fraley interviewing with Bengals for OL coach, and QB coach Sean Ryan in the mix for a Panthers position (source).
Other relevant Lions we will be discussing in the future in more depth:
- Lions’ No. 7 pick in the 2021 NFL draft
- Lions 2021 opponents established — it’s not looking fun
- Contract status of every Detroit Lions player heading into the 2021 offseason
- Ranking the Lions free agents heading into the 2021 offseason
- Lions sign Futures deals with 5 players
- Jack Fox named to PFFs All-Pro team
- Matt Prater sets NFL record with 59 field goals of 50+ yards
- Calvin Johnson among 15 finalists for Pro Football Hall-of-Fame
Just a reminder, if you like our show you can subscribe using iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher, or Podbean.